Re: [OM] Bug out

Subject: Re: [OM] Bug out
From: ws <omls@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:41:53 -0400
All right now, an on topic discussion. And this list consists of neo-OMers.

At 11:01 AM 7/16/2009, AG wrote:
>In recent years there has been a tremendous increase in interest in these
>"pre-Christian" or "non-Abrahamic" religions. For example, Kabbalah has
>emerged from near non-existence to being a rather popular religion.

I thought that was only in Hollywood?

>At issue, though, is that with rare exception, the majority of the neo-pagan
>religions lack a continuous time-line of being practiced. As such, there is
>a difficulty in understanding the context of certain beliefs or practices.
>Many of these religious beliefs or practices were adopted or co-opted by
>other local or regional groups through the years.  It would be similar to
>trying to reconstruct a Christian religion from the Americas two thousand
>years from now. What would you use as your basis?  The Baptists? Catholics?
>Mormans?  Peoples Temple?

Why Monty Python of course... and people will go around with
revered coconuts.

<snip interesting discussion>

>However, all it takes is a look at the writings of Cicero to recognize that
>not much really has changed in 2000+ years.

Even language changes over time, and meanings change. And
perhaps even science will cease to be an open inquiry into the nature of
things, but I predict that human self-importance will still be around.

WayneS