Re: [OM] speaking of batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] speaking of batteries
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 05:27:01 +0100
You're thinking along the right lines, to my mind, but an inverter to mains
voltage and back to whatever the laptop wants (typically 15-18v DC) is
wasteful. You can buy a power pack for laptops that will take power direct from
12v DC battery and convert it to the correct output for your laptop. They're
around £50 in the UK (70 US$).

In your calculations, don't forget than even a leisure battery will only really
perform to about 50% of its stated capacity, and that the laptop can have a
significant draw. Nevertheless, you should be able to get 8 hours or more use
out of a decent 100Ah lead acid battery.

Regards,

Simon