Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 18

Subject: Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 18
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:13:55 -0500
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Moose<olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> siddiq@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> Oooh, I do quite like that one--unusually, since Moose's style doesn't click
>> with me, most of the time. Hope you don't mind my frankness
>>

> Not in the least. Tastes vary.
>
> If you were to do a correlation of images posted on the list and my
> When I do, it will likely be about technical ways to enhance them, where
> I see what appears to me to be a way to improve the photographer's
> presentation of the subject that he/she has chosen, rather than comment
> on content/composition.
>
> I know some of my favorite subjects aren't everyone's cup of tea. I
> certainly wonder sometimes why I continue to shot the same things over
> and over again. Flowers are an example. I continue to shoot many of the
> same ones I shot last year, and the year before and the decade before,
> and so on. Yes, overall technical quality has improved over the decades,
> mostly with equipment improvements, and a little due to technique.

My inner dialectic is usually whether I want to shoot things in good
light or whether I just want to shoot specific kinds of things.  I
like to shoot flowers and will shoot them in any kind of light, same
thing with people, but mostly other than that, I'm less picky about
what I shoot and more interested in following the good light.  I get
up early for it and stay late.  I'm not much of a photographer, unless
being an opportunist applies.  Maybe a masochist too, especially the
getting up early part.

Flowers are special as they are like an extension of our family.  Our
day lilies are usually riotous this time of year.  I got so jaded with
them a couple years ago that I mostly didn't get out the cameras.
Then the flood came and took everything back to primordial goo.  I
take nothing for granted as things come back:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2012321&id=1261510733&l=ad519ef398

I experimented with shallow DOF on quite a few of these shots.  The DZ
15-54 is not the bokeh king, but I'm very satisfied with that lens.

Joel W.