Re: [OM] Using FL-50R, wedding sample pictures, Eneloop batts, etc...

Subject: Re: [OM] Using FL-50R, wedding sample pictures, Eneloop batts, etc...
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:14:46 -0500
2009/7/7 David Irisarri <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently I asked for some good rechargeable batts for using them in my
> new Olympus flash FL-50R. This last weekend (4th July) I went to the
> wedding and I would like to share some pictures with you and comment
> some doubts I have about exposure, clipped highlights, shadows, etc...
>
> Firstly I used the camera outside the church with daylight synchro
> flash (superFP)
> I always used my E-1 in A mode and I adjusted flash to superFP.

David,
I think the photos actually look really good.  If you don't feel that
some blown highlights are acceptable in small amounts, I can
understand your disappointment though.

I think there is now an extra-photographic outcropping of the digital
era that is affecting aesthetic judgments, namely, a standard that now
dictates that any blown highlight is a blemish.  The question probably
ought first to be Is the capture over-exposed?  I realize that that is
not a simple question in the digital era with RAW development and so
forth.  But in reality, the world is full of "blown highlights."  The
fact that we can do something about many of them in digital
photography may not mean the resulting photograph is improved as a
result, even if it makes us excited about our post-processing skills.

When I wish to convert a digital capture to B&W, I often have to
increase contrast and blow out some highlights before converting to
monochrome or the resulting images look dull and lifeless in
monochrome.  I think that's kind of interesting.  In the Zone system,
zone 9 is partially blown and zone 10 fully blown highlights.  It
appears we are moving to a standard in digital photography where these
zones are no longer supposed to exist.

Joel W.