Re: [OM] Z. 50 1.8 on EP-1--- review

Subject: Re: [OM] Z. 50 1.8 on EP-1--- review
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 16:25:02 +0200
This following sentence (from the review) makes me seriously doubt
that these guys know what they are doing. First of all, even though it
is clearly
a single coated lens (the F.Zuiko moniker tells us that) they state:

> "Despite the fact that the lens is quite long in the tooth, its
> multi-coating does
> a good job of reducing chromatic aberration"

Firstly, the lens in question does not have multi-coating (only the MS
and MIJ versions
have that, this is clearly a second generation single-coated example),
and secondly,
I was always under the impression that the optical formula of
the lens is 100% responsible for correcting (or not) chromatic
aberration and colour
fringing. Coating merely improves light transmission, and decreases
flare/haze caused
by internal reflections. Not so?

<rant>

I always wonder about these tests - somebody happens to get their
hands on an ancient
OM optic, slap it on a digital body, and produce a "test". If people
are so drawn to this,
why not at least test the more interesting lenses? Use a 50/2.0 or
90/2.0 Macro, use
a 21/2.0, or any of these amazing older lenses. Somehow, it's always
the humble 50/1.8 "body cap"
they got somewhere for free or for $10.

</rant>

Hope you all have a great week! I am picking up an Epson V700 scanner
today - it's no Nikon 9000
I know, but it should do just fine with my 6x7c, and 6x17cm slides,
and as a huge side benefit, I
can start scanning in some of my darkroom prints so you guys can see
how much I suck with
my OM-1! :-) Hopefully I can start to meaningfully contribute to TOPE
etc now, as well as
have images to post together with my often wild claims around OM optics.

...that is, if the Metro Police officers manning the roadblock which I
sort-of forcefully skipped
today to make the airport in time don't find me and lock me up first.
It's pretty scary expecting
them to come knocking on your door any moment, but in life, for every
action there is a set of tradeoffs
one makes, and I am afraid with this one they had the lowest priority.
Of course, I don't expect many
of you have experience with the police force of an African country. An
equal amount of incompetence and
ruthlessness / unreasonableness prevails. The South African traffic
system (fines, registrations, etc)
was really only computerised about 1 or 2 years ago, with huge
teething troubles, so I am hoping that
they will "forget" about me...

*sigh*