[OM] Using FL-50R, wedding sample pictures, Eneloop batts, etc...

Subject: [OM] Using FL-50R, wedding sample pictures, Eneloop batts, etc...
From: David Irisarri <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 13:11:13 +0200
Hi all,

Recently I asked for some good rechargeable batts for using them in my
new Olympus flash FL-50R. This last weekend (4th July) I went to the
wedding and I would like to share some pictures with you and comment
some doubts I have about exposure, clipped highlights, shadows, etc...

Firstly I used the camera outside the church with daylight synchro
flash (superFP)
I always used my E-1 in A mode and I adjusted flash to superFP.
I am aware of exposure troubleshooting when shooting to blacks as the
camera overexposes if the suit of the subject is black. Despite E-1
RAW exposure latitute is good, some highlights are burnt and cannot be
recovered. I normally use exposure compensation to avoid this issue
but shooting very quick to many people drive me mad changing exposure
compensation according to the suit. It was a cloudy/sunny day, so the
sun was appearing and disappearing very fast so it was certainly very
tricky and risky to use the camera in manual mode. This issue in my
E-1 drives me mad. Matrix metering IMHO doen´t work properly so I
wonder if E-3 or any E camera has highlight priority and can be used
in combination with superFP mode. I don´t mind working with RAW files
after in my computer but I need always to keep the highlights safe. I
would appreciate your ideas, tips and tricks here. I would appreciate
all your comments.

>> Photos have been loaded in 1280x960. Use loupe for enlarging the
>> photo inside Google Picasa or simply download the picture to your
>> computer and load them into PS (much better). ICC profile is srgb
>> with BPC<<

Photo nº 0001    Exposure was perfect. No blacks here so the camera
worked flawlessly. Highlights were kept inside the dynamic range.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rPM83J9f6q2iX0qmVjBRuQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfr7sHUorSkOQ&feat=directlink

Photo nº0002    Here the white wall helped the exposure meter not to
overexpose despite of the dark suit.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XXkq5Kt3FQrH1aGwlQ8XrA?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfr7sHUorSkOQ&feat=directlink

Photo nº0003    Here the sky was burnt (obviously) but the guy´s head
on the left is burnt and detail cannot be recovered. I hate this
issue! Does anybody know E-3 performance? Can highlight priory be
activated to avoid this issue? I have heard E-3 RAW darkroom is worse
than E-1 performance with RAW developers.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lSgAHVOm7MSIM1Z1-MGYgw?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfr7sHUorSkOQ&feat=directlink

Photo nº0004    In this picture both of them are burnt and highlight
detail cannot be rescued back.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AGc5prrMKHJDrT_qtWXntw?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfr7sHUorSkOQ&feat=directlink

Photo nº0005    Here, I wanted to shoot a picture backlight and with
fill in with flash. Something similar what I do in the studio with
hair light but again detail in the guy´s head is lost. is there any
solution to control the light more precisely? Maybe liveview help you
to see in real time the histogram. The main problem here was I had to
take the pictures in the middle of the photographers and you haven´t
got space and time. This is driving me mad!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SmQMjpOv9tZYsQ13luDxPw?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfr7sHUorSkOQ&feat=directlink

Photo nº0006    Here the sun is again spoiling detail in here face.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YCObb21MOQQlEVa2kb7YmQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfr7sHUorSkOQ&feat=directlink

Photo nº0007 & 0008    If sun doesn´t appear, everything works fine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/U626Dw1XDKDYnv2UwTLhkw?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfr7sHUorSkOQ&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qxwdDjbJM2fLXhZ9VIkqRw?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfr7sHUorSkOQ&feat=directlink

I´ll add more pictures for asking for some questions regarding to
FL-50R flash.

Warmest regards,

Dave.

pd: I took 380 pictures with (8) SANYO ENELOOP batts. I´ll add more
information later.