Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)

Subject: Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 08:07:55 -0500
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Brian Swale<bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "C.H.Ling" <c*****.hk>  wrote
>
>> For me, I prefer to shoot at larger aperture most of the time, I like the
>> feel more than everything in focus.
>>
>> Some shots from two days ago with 80/4, all life size F4.
>>
>> http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/OMC/80F4/80F4.html
>>
>> C.H.Ling
>
> Wonderful shots, very sharp where in focus, great bokeh, and marvellous
> light.

I second that!  As for selective focus, some seem more successful than
others, and I will share my opinions if only to see if they are purely
subjective or if anyone else thinks finds points of agreement.

The most successful use of selective focus for me are 5226 and 5279.
In the case of 5226, the isolation of the selective focus creates a
pattern that is attractive to my eyes, whereas in 5279 the isolation
sets the logical subject-matter of the composition in the right place
in relation to everything else around it.

5231, 5264, and 5324 further illustrate the use of selective focus and
shallow DOF to isolate important detail against a palette of blur.

5295 and 5303 would be sharp against a blurred background simply
because of the distance of the subject from the background, so they
don't illustrate much about selective focus as a result (which is not
to say they aren't lovely, of course -- but that's just not what I'm
commenting on right now).

5231, 5245, 5273 seem less successful in the use of selective focus
and isolation of the sharp against the blurred, though I expect there
will be a lot of disagreement with me about 5273.  Personally, I'd
like to see a bit more of the front flowers in sharper focus.  5245 is
really very nice but I seem to crave just a bit more sharpness to the
fronds at the top.

5284 would be a bit stronger image to me if the lower petal were
sharper and I think maybe it could be without undoing the effective
blur of the background.

5264 and 5288 are interesting to compare.  The former seems more
successful to me because the isolation captures very interesting
patterns, whereas the isolation of the stamens in 5288 against the
blurred flower is less interesting for some reason.  In fact, I want
more of the flower to be sharper for some reason.  Again, there would
still be plenty of isolaton of the main subject against background
blur.

5223 is a non-starter for me, but I don't think it is because of DOF
or relative isolation of the sharp against the blurry.  The color is
beautiful, but it doesn't seem to be a composition that will satisfy
me at that magnification, regardless of DOF.

Anyway -- a beautiful study, and I think my favorite is the last, 5324.

Joel W.