Re: [OM] OT -- computer questions

Subject: Re: [OM] OT -- computer questions
From: Paul <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 09:58:24 -0500
On Jun 28, 2009, at 9:41, "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The HP department that sells commputers to businesses over the phone
> offers
> laptops with XP. My wife buys them by the case with no problems.
>

>> stay with an OS I know and am comfortable with. I know Win 7 is just
>> around
>> the corner, and Office Depot is offering a free upgrade to Win 7 on
>> computers  that are bought now.
>>
>> My biggest question is whether the 64-bit Vista Home Premium that
>> is on
>> the
>> HP will run all the software I'm used to using. Photoshop Elements
>> would
>> be the  biggie. I seem to recall reading in the past that some 32-
>> bit apps
>> won't run on  64-bit Vista. Am I correct?

For most people, 64-bit Vista is a marketing trick. "64 is more than
32. It must be better!!"

Wrong. The only real advantage is the ability to access more than 4gb
of ram. And you're not going to do that on a netbook.  Plus, you will
run into a lot of compatibility issues, as you are afraid of.  Buying
a netbook with 64-bit windows is pointless. However, the free upgrade
to Win7 is good, as long as it's 32-bit. 7 is essentially Vista with a
lot of the bloat trimmed out and a bucnch of rough spots polished down.