[OM] OT -- computer questions

Subject: [OM] OT -- computer questions
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:01:43 EDT
I've been itching to buy a laptop smaller than my 15.4" Dell for travel.
This would be mostly personal use, emailing, downloading pics from memory
cards,  etc. I was initially interested in netbooks, until a helpful salesman
at Office  Depot told me that most of their customers who bought netbooks had
not been  satisfied because of limitations of the form factor.

Now I'm considering a 12" HP that the salesman recommended. My biggest
question is about the OS. I've stayed with various version of XP on all my
computers. XP MCE on my desktop and laptop at home and XP Pro on the  desktops
at my office. I just haven't had the need to switch to Vista and wanted  to
stay with an OS I know and am comfortable with. I know Win 7 is just around
the corner, and Office Depot is offering a free upgrade to Win 7 on
computers  that are bought now.

My biggest question is whether the 64-bit Vista Home Premium that is on the
 HP will run all the software I'm used to using. Photoshop Elements would
be the  biggie. I seem to recall reading in the past that some 32-bit apps
won't run on  64-bit Vista. Am I correct?

Thanks!
Greg