[OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1

Subject: [OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:37:36 -0400
FWIW here are the MTF curves.   Despite the sarcasm there is truth that
the manufacturers will not leave the low hanging fruit of in camera or
lens processing unpicked.  Much easier (?cheaper, smaller) to engineer
for easily correctable aberrations than go for a pure hardware
solution.  (If you don't like that approach you can put red dot RF
lenses in front) The DZ lenses have a CPU for a reason.  DXO had
commented that they are suspicious  G1 likely has much of the data
messaged prior to writing the raw file.  Canyon now includes the fix
for CA, vignetting, barrel distortion which are disturbing in their
"L"kit lens with the 5DII with the included software.  I trust with the
much larger sensor as an advantage Oly can clean the clock of the
G9-10, LX-3 in IQ/DR.  We'll see after production models are out and
careful analyses are done.  I  very much like the idea of an IS OM
macro lens kit doubling as a portable solution on horse trips.   Jeff
already mentioned the FL's the IS can be set to.  I see Oly rounding
second already  and I hope they make it home. (I hope not tagged out
from CA, slow AF)

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090616_294162.html

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090616_294160.html

Mike

(a bit worrsiome for the pancake in he corners)

I agree with Dawid that CA is unforgivable in a "premium" lens.  Yes,
the
17/2.8 is a premium lens based on pricing for this class of product.
However, some issues are unavoidable and the "new think" of in-camera
processing is necessary to counter some of the color-artifact issues
which
have been cropping up in the digital world.