Re: [OM] Good news

Subject: Re: [OM] Good news
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:53:12 -0500

> Chuck, the library itself, before it is demolished and replaced.

I don't know if the building will be demolished any time soon, but it is
definitely a one of a kind place.  The only other glass floored library I've
been in was the old Hackley Library in Muskegon, Michigan and that one is of
completely different design. In the upper levels, the entire floor is glass.
It is lightly frosted for modesty--I wonder when the frosting was added as
the surface origionally was just pebbled, but I'm sure it helped literacy
rates among the male population. The bookshelves extend non-stop from the
floors below with little gaps between the floor frame and the shelving.

The facility is horribly outgrown and to say that it is tight (and dark) is
an understatement of the decade.  The biggest problem is claustiphobia. I'm
told that a good percentage of patrons will ask the staff to get the books
for them so they don't have to go into the shelf area.  Honestly, it even
bothers me. The new facility is HUGE and appropriately sized for a college
town.  (The famously expensive Grinnell College is located here--with a
preponderance of attendance by the "washed unmasses").

A point of entertainment.  A couple weeks ago the airport here experienced
the seasonal migration of private jets. It would be tragic for Jack or Jill
student to have to fly back home on a commercial flight--or worse, have to
drive themselves home.  Of course, not all families are in that
socia-economic strata, but there are enough to prove entertaining to the
locals.  But for every biz-jet, there are multiple families sacrificing and
working hard to give their child a world-class education in a safe, secure
environment where everybody knows your name and lifelong friendships are
made.

It's a good town to live in.  Even the public school system is unusually
good.  Our girls love it there.

AG