Re: [OM] ( OM) OM film prints versus E-510 screen images

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM) OM film prints versus E-510 screen images
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:30:33 +1200
Chuck wrote

> I don't agree with your conclusion about digital and backlit vegetation.
>   But you must recognize that (unlike negative film) digital is totally
> unforgiving about overexposure.  It's much more like shooting slide film
> in that respect.  Pay careful attention to the RGB histogram and, if
> shooting JPEG, don't let any color channel bump up against the right hand
> edge.  Shooting raw will give you some more leeway but, even then, caution
> and post-processing for highlight recovery will be required.

Yes I agree with the observation that digital is rather like using slide film.

Funny thing, I never use the histogram facility.

Sometimes if I think the balance of light and dark needs special
management, I will take the exposure reading from what I guess is an OK
midpoint, but seldom do more than that.

I doubt that there was anything I could do to get that trellis apricot (
formerly
called apple) shot in good condition with digital; when you look closely there
is so much wrong with it if you want to be fussy.

For a while after seeing this result, I DID shoot some RAW + JPG in these
sorts of conditions.
I noticed that when opened with Fast-stone, the two versions of each one
shot looked quite different.
Then I discovered that none of the programs I have recognise (or do
anything with) ORF files; not even Raw Therapee; so I gave up the game as
a bad job since it was using up a ridiculous amount of disk space.

I am away from home at the moment and it will be a few days before I can
scan and display the Fuji Superia Reala 100 asa equivalent shots. It will be
interesting to see how that little exercise goes. I have to brave snow and icy
roads to get home ...

Not to forget I am fed up with being cold much of the time ... 5 days off the
shortest day here.

Cheers, Brian