Re: [OM] Rescue Pro software

Subject: Re: [OM] Rescue Pro software
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 15:19:25 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> It will work well when called upon...

The only time I've needed such help, Rescue Pro was no real help.
Freeundelete was able to retrieve the images that hadn't been written
over, so I rate it better.

What really saved me was the multiple copies I make when on the road.
Somehow, either my workflow went awry or I did something wrong in my
supposedly very careful move of HD back-ups on my desktop to larger
disks. Somehow, I ended up missing the directory for one day's shooting.
I started to panic, i.e. stopped thinking. After trying RP and FU
without retrieving everything, I sat back and tried to decide it didn't
really amount ot much other than having to admit my imperfection. Then,
of course, when I calmed down, the brain started working again, I fired
up the notebook and copied the images from there. Duh!

I didn't mention in my post about on the road storage a few minutes ago,
but I also don't erase images from the notebook backup or Fastrax until
I need the space for new images.

> provided that you never delete individual images in camera.  Shades of the
> conversation of yesterday and before.  Don't ask how I know.  Even though I
> knew better I thought I could at least tempt fate once.

I fairly often delete the last image taken when it's obviously bad, as
when someone walks between me and the subject at the crucial moment. I
don't see in theory how that could cause trouble, as all images are
still contiguous.

Moose