Re: [OM] reasonably priced 3Ti 270400363196 you know where

Subject: Re: [OM] reasonably priced 3Ti 270400363196 you know where
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:57:10 +0200
Well now, that depends on which Canon lenses you buy - from personal
experience, every L-series lens I have used does not at all depend
on "calibration" as to whether it is parfocal or not - it all boils down
to mechanical engineering and precise metal helicoids. I know this is
an Olympus list (and the fact that I sold all my Canon EF gear and
replaced
it with OM gear gives me, I think, a right to comment on the relative
merits of both systems) but there is no denying that most of the L-
series lenses
are optically and mechanically absolutely superb.

This is a completely different story to the more "modern" focus-by-wire
designs the new Olympus lenses have which may depend on calibration,
but the
Canon lenses (except the few focus-by-wire lenses from the late 80s) are
all fully mechanical.

On the other hand, there is no denying that the consumer-grade canon
lenses
are built like toys, whereas cheap Olympus lenses are built a bit
better (but
not much).