[OM] TTL flash theory, was: An object of beauty

Subject: [OM] TTL flash theory, was: An object of beauty
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:42:34 -0400
I remember trying this once or twice.  I'll defer to John as his images
were much more compelling and will also await Dr. Flash's comments.
The advantage of the camera in auto is that it accumulates the
flash/ambient until proper exposure is met.  I think I set it so there
was a several second--?5-8 exposure AND have the camera exp
compensation set to adjust for the tonality of the subject.  Set the
flash say 3 stops down on auto or the equivalent manual setting and
paint the desired areas  with the flash until the camera closes the
shutter.
voilà, (perhaps)   I think I only tried it with print film to provide
more latitude for errors.
Mike

Certainly... for a single shot done manually at a range within the
angular coverage of the flash.  But the exposure was done with multiple
flashes in flash auto mode... which, even ignoring possible overlapping
flashes, with be attempting to turn the black train into a middle gray
one.

Chuck Norcutt