Re: [OM] Speaking of Trains

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of Trains
From: "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 11:38:16 -0500
There is a tourist train that travels through Royal Gorge at river level, on
former DRGW tracks. Is is diesel operated and has open cars for watching
scenery and photography. I have ridden it twice and enjoyed it.

If you are going that direction, there are two other train rides that are
worth mentioning, even if unrelated to Royal Gorge. There is the Durango to
Silverton narrow guage steam train that follows a route that is inavaiable
by car. The scenery is dramatic, as the train hugs the sides of mountains
above a stream. Plan a day.

Also, there is the steam operated narrow guage train from Chama, NM to
Antonito, CO. It is a day's trip, with some fine scenery and other that is
pedestrian, but also fun.

Both rides at least used to offer phot run bys.

All three are highly recommended.

Bill Pearce