Re: [OM] Tamron vs Zuikos - was Missed a nice lens :-((

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron vs Zuikos - was Missed a nice lens :-((
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 12:10:15 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban"

> Hi, C.H. and all,
>
>> From: "C.H.Ling"
>
>> Recently I have acquired three Tamron SPs which are from the 79'-84',
>> named
>> 24-48 F3.5-3.8,
>
> I got one of these from evilBay, but came in such a poor condition that
> had
> to be returned. The refund procedure was extremely uncomfortable, BTW.

I purchased mine from eb*y Henry at $53.75 with OL mount, a good deal. He
mentioned there are lots of dust and hairs inside, it was true indeed, I
spent 3 hours to disassembly each lens element inside and have them cleaned.
It is now in very clean and nice condition. A well balanced lens in optical
quality, size and the focusing accuracy is good without any focus shift for
the whole zoom range.

>> 35-80 F2.8-3.8
>

> No experience on this one. I've seen pics of it (not 'from') and look
> similar to the SP 28-80/3.5-4.2... had one of those but performed very
> poorly :-(

It is certainly not true for the 35-80 SP, it is very sharp even wide open
from 35-50mm. At 80mm it is a little soft at the edges, stopping down to
F5.6 vitually eliminated the problem.

>> and 70-210 F3.5-4.
>
> Got one of these. Haven't used it much, but seems much easier to use than
> the slightly faster, one-touch constant f/3.5, which I owned and performed
> great... but was very uncomfortable :-( The two-touch 3.5-4 has also a bit
> better macro range.

The lighter weight, looks easier to focus and same 'look' with the other two
Tamrons (24-48 and 35-80) is the reason for me to choose the f3.5-4 instead
of the constant f3.5. I took another risk after the 24-48's success purchsed
this 70-210 with element separation, unfortunately the seller was right,
there is separation around the edge of an inner element (the only element
group that glue together in this lens). It still works ok stopped down but
at 70mm it has heavy purple fringe, form 105-210 it was quite acceptable
wide open, stop down to F5.6 vitually elminated the purple fringe problem.

The Zuiko 65-200 performed much better, it is the best among all Zuiko long
zoom in terms of purple fringe, the resolution is on par or better than the
50-250 but focus is not as smooth (a bit heavy during focusing compared with
my 50-250).

Tamron's 1:2 macro at 200mm is very interesting though, it could help to
capture some butterflies :-)

> Another alternative to the 3.5 is the 75-250/3.8-4.5, also one-touch but
> "reversed", which I find better. This is one of the "semi-constant"
> aperture
> Tamron zoom lenses, where aperture kept constant at 3.8 up to 180-200mm,
> so
> it was quite comparable to the 3.5. Not an SP, but very good quality also.

That one looks very interesting, the weight of 856g is lighter than it
looked.

C.H.Ling