Re: [OM] Tamron vs Zuikos - was Missed a nice lens :-((

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron vs Zuikos - was Missed a nice lens :-((
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 21:30:25 +0200
Hi, C.H. and all,

> From: "C.H.Ling"

> Recently I have acquired three Tamron SPs which are from the 79'-84', named
> 24-48 F3.5-3.8,

I got one of these from evilBay, but came in such a poor condition that had
to be returned. The refund procedure was extremely uncomfortable, BTW.

> 35-80 F2.8-3.8

No experience on this one. I've seen pics of it (not 'from') and look
similar to the SP 28-80/3.5-4.2... had one of those but performed very
poorly :-(

> and 70-210 F3.5-4.

Got one of these. Haven't used it much, but seems much easier to use than
the slightly faster, one-touch constant f/3.5, which I owned and performed
great... but was very uncomfortable :-( The two-touch 3.5-4 has also a bit
better macro range.

Another alternative to the 3.5 is the 75-250/3.8-4.5, also one-touch but
"reversed", which I find better. This is one of the "semi-constant" aperture
Tamron zoom lenses, where aperture kept constant at 3.8 up to 180-200mm, so
it was quite comparable to the 3.5. Not an SP, but very good quality also.

A major issue on the Tarmon is flare

Certainly a big problem on the 24/2.5...

> For resolution the Zuiko 28-48 was better in all comparable focal lengths
> from edge to edge. At 28mm the edge of Zuiko was slight soft but resolution
> was still good.

Yes, the 28-48 performs great at the centre even at full aperture, but the
corners are not that good until well stopped down.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)