Re: [OM] TTL flash theory, was: An object of beauty

Subject: Re: [OM] TTL flash theory, was: An object of beauty
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 17:17:59 -0400
An illustration of what AG is talking about.  This is what OMs (except
the 3Ti) can't do... manual exposure to capture and control the ambient
lighting of the background (calculated here to be a stop down) with TTL
flash taking care of the foreground (at correct exposure level).  AG's
description of using multiple lights in the background doesn't change
anything in this equation except that he is controlling the background
ambient level (and the color temperature) to be more to his liking.  Of
course, if you don't have TTL flash you can still do the same.  You can
use flash auto mode or you can meter the subject under flash and control
the flash power manually.
<http://www.shootsmarter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=175&acat=16>

Note that you may have to sign up on the smartshooter website to gain
access to this blurb.  But that just gets you weekly blurbs like this
one and they don't sell your email address.  Recommended if you do
people photography.

Finally, note that, even though the OM-2 will continue the exposure
beyond the flash if necessary, that's no guarantee that one will end up
with a good ratio of flash and ambient and the flash will be totally
ineffective at filling the far background due to the inverse square law.

Chuck Norcutt