Re: [OM] Flash and Macro?

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash and Macro?
From: "Clay Nichols" <Clay.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 14:09:31 -0400
You are right. The flash spreads out too much and destroys the desired specimen
lighting when using a flash unit. Try using one the PM LSD or PM LD2
illuminators from Olympus or similar units. Or try putting a snoot  (?snout)
over the flash head to narrow the output. One or a pair of T32's provides great
small specimen illumination especially when a little tent lighting is used.
The X-DE is a nice resource to own.

>>> Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx> 6/4/2009 1:50 PM >>>
Since no one replied, I'll take a stab. Not sure what you're doing, but I think
mirror housings need a narrow light beam which a flash isn't. Lieberkuhn
reflectors would probably work with the right bottom mirror, but  have never
been able to obtain one to try. However, I have taken many photos with the LSD
stand and a pair of T32s on  TTL. About 8" to either side and slightly above
works well. (for what it's worth)