Re: [OM] An object of beauty

Subject: Re: [OM] An object of beauty
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 22:47:54 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Norton"

> Exactly!  When event shooting, it is quite common for me to be using 1/30
> or
> even 1/15 with flash.

Agreed, it is good to keep some ambient light with slow shutter speed but
one have to make sure the ambient light does not go too strong on the face
(especially the warm light from the top), otherwise the mixed color light
will create big trouble.

> Very true.  However, if you drag the shutter to keep the ambient two stops
> down, the flash exposure is rarely too out of line.  Besides, if you are
> shooting Fuji professional print films, it is actually a good thing to
> lean
> into the exposure a bit.  An overexposure of one stop with the flash seems
> to be about right. Prior to the Portras, we had to do that with Kodak
> films
> too.

Again, agreed. With negatives the tol. will be acceptable, but non TTL auto
flash also good.

> The E-System flash is much better but it can also be fooled by small but
>> highly reflective object such as mirror.
>>

> This is one reason I still love using the IS-3/G40 combo. The flash power
> is
> set by distance as determined by the autofocus.  Up to about 20 feet it is
> almost dead accurate. Beyond 20 feet, Olympus fudged the calculations a
> bit
> by assuming room reflectence and added the bounced light to the direct
> light. From 20 feet and beyond, it helps to exposure compensate +1.0.
> When
> working outdoors and needing flash fill, I've been completely satisfied
> with
> the flash exposure.

Distance controlled flash is the best flash system.... provided the AF is
accurate ;-)

> I've observed that I tend to rely upon new capabilities and think that it
> would be impossible to use something as lowly as 1/60 flash sync.  When
> you
> have 1/250 ability, you tend to shoot at 1/250.  Somehow I survived for a
> couple decades without anything faster than 1/60. But all of a sudden the
> brains have been parked and I can't figure out how to shoot at 1/60.

As Chuck pointed out another advantage of high speed sync is for daytime
fill flash, I would have missed lots of good family shoots during the EU
trip in 94' if not for the E-1 and FL50.

C.H.Ling