Re: [OM] [OT] best movie I've seen this millenium!

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] best movie I've seen this millenium!
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 07:44:23 -0500
John Hermanson wrote:
> We thoroughly enjoyed it too.
> ___________________________________
> John Hermanson  |   CPS, Inc.
> 21 South Ln., Huntington NY 11743
> 631-424-2121  |  www.zuiko.com
> Olympus OM Service since 1977
> Gallery: www.zuiko.com/album/index.html
>

> Jez Cunningham wrote:
>> Sorry if I'm late to the party - just saw Star Trek - two big thumbs up!  If
>> you were a fan of the original (real) Star Trek with James T Kirk and Spock
>> etc, you'll LOVE it!Live long and prosper!
>> Jez

So did we.  That said, some things bugged me, like the timeline
modification, or breaking sci-fi canon and allowing one character to
meet himself from another time -- something that is supposed to cause
Very Bad Things to happen.

And I have the same complaint I have with most CGI movies -- just
because the efx guys CAN put a million things in a scene at one time,
all whirling around in different directions, doesn't mean they SHOULD.

Especially when you see it on a screen as big as Imax, which we did.
There's so much happening over so much screen real estate that you end
up with a headache trying to follow the main action.

Had the same complaint with the last three Star Wars movies, with Die
Hard With a Vengeance, all of the Bourne films, and Transformers, to
name a few.  That, plus the super-shaky handheld camera work.  Maybe
it's "trendy", but it's damned annoying.  Same thing with the space
battles.  Like the new "Battlestar Galactica", they tried to make the
space battles look "realistic".  Forget that. It's science FICTIOM.
Make it look cool.  Don't try to make it what you think spaceflight
would really look like.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon