Re: [OM] The Glendenning's Garden

Subject: Re: [OM] The Glendenning's Garden
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 16:58:33 -0700
Mike Lazzari wrote:
>>  I prefer the Manfrotto without QR. ...
>>
> Using the 3232 (234) adding a QR would prevent or hinder flopping the camera
> over to the portrait position, correct?.

Not at all. you may be misjudging the relative sizes of things.

Straight up, landscape.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Man3232_Qra-3&image=DSCF1570cria.jpg>

Flopped, portrait.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Man3232_Qra-3&image=DSCF1571cria.jpg>

No more nor less effort than without the QR. You still simply loosen the
thumbscrew and turn the camera (and QR receiver) 90 deg. I show it
flopped one way. It also flops the other way. No interference between QR
receiver and head.

> Or at least add another level of unnecessary complexity to a system designed
> for simplicity.

Agreed. I would only do it where I wanted QR plates on the camera(s) for
other purposes. Then it would be simpler than mounting and unmounting
the plates.

> But then I never really saw the benefit of QR outweighing the expense and
> clunkiness.

I never have seen a personal need for the Swiss-Arca type gear. But I
like and find it a help to use these light, little and, at least
relatively, inexpensive QRs. The plate is so small and light, it just
lives on the 5D. Whichever tripod or tri-monopod I grab, it just pops on
securely.

> A thumb screw "wastes" maybe 15sec.

Only if you are really slow. More like under 5 sec. when in practice.

[No, I never said I didn't have or use ANY Leica gear.]

Moose