Re: [OM] An object of beauty

Subject: Re: [OM] An object of beauty
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 10:03:29 -0500

> YES! I'm no the only one who thought that. Of course, the camera hasn't
> actually SOLD for $3500, that's just what the seller is trying to get. I
> hope he fails. This kind of silliness doesn't help real photographers who
> actually use camera, god forbid, to take pictures!

I fully understand where you are coming on this.  The OM-3Ti in my bag has,
but one purpose--to be used!  And use it I do.  I definitely won't abuse it
(and have selectively avoided using it in environments where damage is more
likely to occur), but if I'm not concerned about preserving it as some
collectible.  The camera is too enjoyable to use to leave it parked on the
shelf or in a box.  Both the 3Ti and 4T have had well north of 1000 pictures
taken through them this year and I have a huge project coming up over the
next three months (documenting the move of a library) which just seems to be
the perfect application for these cameras.

But, do I hope this guy fails to get $3500 for that camera?  Absolutely not.
 We need the upper end "tested" periodically to determine price range of
used equipment.  Honestly, I really do hope he gets $3500 as this will
determine the current limit.  Without the upper boundary being tested, we
really don't know what is appropriate pricing for everything else.

Not everything is meant to be used.  I can appreciate a limited production
item like the 3Ti or an M7 (there are more M7s than 3Tis) being both used
and collected.  If this particular camera never has a fingerprint put on it,
that's fine with me. In one way, it's a shame because it's such an
incredible camera as a camera, but in another way, if you appreciate art and
craftsmanship you have to appreciate that camera as an objet d'art.

And, I'll make this projection:  In 2020, in between our gun-suv-bbq
discussions, we'll be grousing about somebody selling a NIB OM-3Ti for
$15,000.  $3500 may seem like a lot right now, but as an investment, I think
it's safe. Also, as an investment, for most people in the "investor class",
$3500 is a very reasonable amount.

AG