Re: [OM] A lot of photos

Subject: Re: [OM] A lot of photos
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 09:35:54 +0100
No, my current machine is the moped of the skies and can travel at
very little more than 120kts at low level, 2 nautical miles a minute.
Kirkby Stephen to Helvellyn would take about 15 minutes.

I have flown Hawks, Hunters, Jaguars and Tornados (in chronological
order from the late 70s) many times up that way towards the Solway
Firth, using the hills for cover from the "bounce" aircraft, or being
the bounce myself, but I'm ashamed to say that I don't think that I
knew the name of the mountain to the east of me as I flew up
Bassenthwaite.

In the fly-moped (Grob Tutor) it's a bit risky to fly in the hills at
low level because of the poor performance.  I have found it quite
disconcerting to leave the power and pitch a little late to clear a
peak or ridge ahead and to find myself climbing a slope at climbing
speed (80kts) and nothing in reserve.  To turn back down the slope
risks using up what little climb performance you have ...

Chris