[OM] Rainbows & polarizers, was: Desks, film and jpgs

Subject: [OM] Rainbows & polarizers, was: Desks, film and jpgs
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 09:14:22 -0400
Can somebody explain this rainbow effect?  AFAIK, rainbows are seen at
180 degrees from the sun.  Polarization is at maximum 90 degrees from
the sun and at minimum 180 degrees from the sun.  It would seem to me
that a polarizer should have little or no effect on a rainbow.  Have I
got it wrong?  How?

Chuck Norcutt