[OM] Vertigo and BPPV, was: Glendenning's garden

Subject: [OM] Vertigo and BPPV, was: Glendenning's garden
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 12:15:45 -0400
Sorry to hear that, John.  It can be very debilitating.  My son suffered
from vertigo for two years after his helicopter crash until his chance
meeting with a naval flight surgeon who had a through understanding of
BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) and the "Epley maneuver".
Naval flight surgeons receive training in this and, much to my surprise,
many other doctors seem to know nothing about it.

There are certainly other causes of vertigo other than BPPV but if it is
BPPV be prepared to fend for yourself.  You may have to educate the
doctor.  The Epley manuever usually resolves BPPV with a single
treatment.  My son required a re-do for some reason but he was 98% cured
after his second treatment.  It takes only a few minutes.  What a relief
after two years of incredibly expensive, time consuming (and
ineffective) treatment.  You can even do it yourself as there is a
self-administered form of the Epley maneuver.

Read about BPPV here
<http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html>

Chuck Norcutt