Re: [OM] 4/3 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] 4/3 questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 14:30:29 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:
> I beg to differ.

Don't beg, just differ. :-)

> This was absolutely true with the E-1 as the introduction to distribution
> time-lag was quite severe.  As I recall, it took the better part of five
> months.

Ah, how quickly we forget the E-400. Sure, it was a stopgap to fill a
market void until the real version, the E-410, was available. Still,
distribution was limited by region.* Pre-announcing the E-1 was really
sloppy and misleading. They needed a camera in the marketplace and
filled the space with vaporware. And who's to say whether their m4/3 is
really ready or the model about to be announced is a stopgap, too, or
destined to a delayed actual release.

Yeah, I know, you and Khen know the inside story, but can't say. Insofar
as I could tell, the Zone-10 piece about the coming m4/3 camera
contained no new info whatsoever. A lot of sound and fury, signifying
nothing. Not complaining about NDAs, just saying that absent real info,
I wouldn't make plans.

> But when you look at the consumer-grade products, the introduction to
> distribution time-lag is usually 2-4 weeks.

But is this just another evolutionary consumer grade camera? First 4/3
camera was a problem. First really compact 4/3 camera was a problem. Am
I crazy to be uncertain about the first m4/3 camera?

> No different than Nikon and Canon.  In fact, the time-lag now is essentially
> identical to Nikon and Canon.

I have no info on that, but will grant you the point. Still, most of
these recent cameras haven't pushed development envelopes much. Oly P&S
cameras have been strictly middle of the road in performance, with no
significant improvements in new models other than ruggedizing and
keeping up with the MP and feature wars.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still pulling for Oly. I'm really excited that
the E-620 looks like a real winner. I'm really hoping the m4/3 camera is
what the Panny G1 isn't, innovative and risk taking, eschewing the SLR
form factor and viewfinder model, while meeting or beating the
performance bar Panny has set. I also hope they deliver them promptly.

Moose

* Yeah, yeah, I know, all OlyAmerica's fault. Still, I'm just a simple
consumer. I don't care about internal issues, just about quality, price
and availability. From out here, it's all Oly.