Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 3 (x2)

Subject: Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 3 (x2)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 02:17:32 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:
> I took the liberties to "Schnozzerize" Moose's images.
> http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=435&Itemid=1
>
> I was a bit heavy-handed with the noisy version, but I did that on purpose to
> illustrate what I was talking about.

I think I see what you are after. I don't much like the noise. Gaussian
or whatever, it's a little too regular for my taste. If I want to add
"noise", I'll use grain from a scanned blank frame of film. I think the
texture is more pleasing.

In this case, of course, there's no need to add small contrast detail,
as there is plenty in the stone surface.

I wasn't really trying to mimic impressionism. I was simply trying to
see what something without detail clues looked/felt like. I think it's
interesting to find out what happens. As with the flowers, I find I
sometimes am able to take the image in whole, without focusing on
details, an odd and interesting effect.

> My second version is a blend of both of Moose's versions

Pretty nice. I'd probably go more like 75% Sharp for a blend. That could
be influenced by having seen the original subject.

> and then the final one is the Schnozz cut free.

You've caught me out, in a sense. I know what the original is, and it
doesn't work sideways.   :-)   Even though I've made it abstract, that
knowledge biases me. Here's the original, an image of the "flowing"
stone hair of a statue.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_6431ia.jpg>

Backing off from that prejudice, I rather like the diagonal arrangement.
The square format, though, bothers me. Although I occasionally make a
square crop, that's subject driven. I seem to prefer non-square crops,
all other things being equal. In this case, I keep finding myself
looking for more content to the right, for whatever reason.

This hair looks like stone, but is wood. Interestingly, I followed my
pattern, and stayed away from a purely square format.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Cloisters/pages/Clois1049.htm>

Thanks for the alternative perspectives. It was fun.

Moose