Re: [OM] (OT) Pixel (?) line on monitor

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Pixel (?) line on monitor
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 17:13:26 +0200
Don't do that its not a PC ;-), seriously though it could also be a heat
fault, i.e it only shows up when hot, I would take the side cover off
and check that the fans are working on teh graphic card, I am not sure
which you have but if its the standard one then it doesn't have an
onboard fan but if its a beefier one then I would check if its fan is
working - IStatPro shows the running speed of the graphics card fan (it
doesn't show mine) but it shows the temp and is a nice little dashboard app.

I think you have a mark one version like me so the choice is a bit
limited but i would also consider a graphic card update to the 8800
(make sure you get the correct version) or the 3870 macpc edition, I
have had both in mine and saw some improvement over the 7300GT but this
will increase when snow leopard comes.

I had the 8800 and found it better but then saw that the 3870 was much
faster with aperture so I replaced it just as apple bought out a fix for
the 8800 to make it almost match the speed of the 3870. The 8800 is now
in my stepsons pc and he is happy. The 8800 was quiet in my mac pro but
the 3870 fans were loud so I bought an arctic cooler kit (no fan) and
now its back silent again.

I have 12 gigs of ram in mine, I bought an extra 8 recently but went for
the 800Mhz version for the newer macpro, this runs fine at the slower
speed however now when I wake the mac from sleep the fans run at full
blast for a couple of minutes before going back to tickover - I can't
say though that its worth getting so much memory  as I didn't notice
much improvement, but you must have 4  1 Gb dimms in the right slots i.e
two on each memory card. I do however hope that snow leopard better
utilises the hardware and I get a big performance boost although in
reality it runs fine for my needs.

IanW

"and give the side of the case a wack"