[OM] DPReview on the "standard lens"

Subject: [OM] DPReview on the "standard lens"
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 07:30:24 -0400
I've long known that a "standard lens" is defined as one with focal
length equal to the diagonal of the frame size which is in turn related
to angle of view.  However, I did not previously know how that is
related to print size (or print diagonal) and viewing distance.

DPReview's Andy Westlake fills in the missing pieces here, decries
Leica's and follow-on 35mm camera's long standing use of 50mm as
"normal", applauds the Pentax 43mm and features the Oly 35RC (and other
old rangefinders) as also getting it right at 42mm.

All followed by reader's arguments pro and con, of course.

<http://blog.dpreview.com/editorial/2009/03/what-is-a-standard-lens.html>

Chuck Norcutt