Re: [OM] Return of the Moose [ ... paradise on earth]

Subject: Re: [OM] Return of the Moose [ ... paradise on earth]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 22:17:23 -0700
Piers Hemy wrote:
> Am I alone in noticing that Moose found his Eden on Elk Coast?

It's the Mendocino coast. Elk is just the name of a tiny town on it.
Appropriate, though, as elk were native, while the nearest moose habitat
is far away. There are still Roosevelt Elk to be seen not far North in
Humboldt County and Tule Elk not far South in Pt. Reyes National Seashore.

> Aside the possible identity crisis caused by confusion of alces alces with
> cervus canadensis, it looks a perfect place to be, Mssoe!

As an unincorporated area, it has no official name. One version of the
genesis of the common name is in Wikipedia "Elk was originally called
"Greenwood" after early homesteaders, the Greenwood brothers, sons of
mountain man Caleb Greenwood, one of the rescuers of the Donner Party.
When the post office was opened there was already another Greenwood in
California so it was called Elk Post Office. Eventually the name came to
refer to the town. It is an outgrowth of an earlier town called Cuffy's
Cove and the cemetery is located at that townsite a mile north of Elk."

The beach is still Greenwood Beach and we stayed at the Greenwood Pier
Inn. There are other stories I've read that have it different, including
one in which a town name is stolen, but I don't remember the details.
The Visitor's Center/Museum was open its few weekend hours as we were
about to leave, but we chose to look at the current beauty of the area
this trip.  :-)

Moose