Re: [OM] I was wrong

Subject: Re: [OM] I was wrong
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:25:03 -0500
Moose chimed in:

> An AG error, while not a weekly occurrence, is no surprise.   ;-)
> Admision is much rarer, but no unheard of.

AG Errors occur periodically.  Typically my errors result in some "verbal
notification" from my wife.

> However, the real reason for my reply is the missing proviso(s), which
> are, I think, important.

All are true, but in reality, my own major issue has little to do with
technical and mostly to do with my own filing methods. This was the major
reason why I held off on digital for so long and when I thought I had a
method that worked I jumped in. For the most part it works, but integrating
film negatives into either system just isn't working.

> - I use icc film profiles for all my recent and contemporary color neg
> scanning. As result, many of the color differences you see between films
> in your scans simply aren't there in mine.

We've discussed this before. I am in agreement that good ICC film profiles
are very very nice to have, but I personally have an issue with the leveling
of different film stocks into a singular look. I select films for their
unique personalities and wouldn't want them to be all the same. Otherwise,
I'd just grab the cheapest rolls of film I could find and produce my
masterpieces on it.  :)  But, to each his/her own.  No harm, no foul.

> I'm not saying that there is any absolute right on these points, nor
> that either of us is right or wrong. I am saying that someone using
> different equipment, software and technique that you do might well
> experience different results.

Again, from a technical perspective this is very true. I would possibly be
singing a different tune if I had purchased the Nikon Coolscan 5000-ED,
instead of the V-ED.

AG