[OM] [OT] Questions for enlarging lens

Subject: [OM] [OT] Questions for enlarging lens
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 14:03:53 -0400
A potential compact option is the Zork system that uses the enlarger
lens and provides tilt-shift.

http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_mfs.htm

Mamiya T-S bellows are readily available but allow movements on the
front end only.  I also don't know if it tilts in more than one plane.
I don't think the Nikon PB-4 does anyway.  Mamiya to Nikon adapters are
easiy available on yabe, though the Mamiya to enlarger lens fitting
might be an issue.  I have no doubt it could be done.  (srb Griturn as
a last resort, but it will cost you.)  I recall Dean obtained a Mamiya
t-S bellows with a lens in bgn condition that was very nice and had a
Mam 80mm? macro lens with it.
Novoflex makes T-S bellows for a small fortune.  I had  tried to snipe
a couple Spirotone T-S bellows that have over 7 adjustement knobs on
them, but they seem to be  rare and  unduly expensive.  I wish Oly had
brought their OM T-S bellows to market--have seen a photo of one of
them.
Mike

Michael, among the Nikon bellows, you will typically find that PB-4 is
more
expensive than most, even the more recent models.  The reason is that
the
PB-4 has the facility for tilt and shift, which makes it very useful
indeed
for macro work, where the use of tilt (otherwise called swing) allows
much
greater control of depth of field than is possible with just the
diaphragm
(f-stop) at high magnification.  The PB-4 is the best made bellows I
have
seen - slightly better even that the OM bellows - but it is likely no
better
than any other Nikon bellows.

Both OM and Nikon are very much more sturdy than unbranded aftermarket
bellows (of which I have used a few).  Generally the unbranded bellows
do
not have the twin-rail facility of both OM and Nikon PB-4 (the eBay
item you
linked to does not have it either) - this is important for macro work,
as
focusing is usually accomplished by moving the camera
forwards/backwards,
having already set the required magnification by adjusting the bellows.
 If
you get bellow without the twin rail, you will have to get a focusing
rail
in addition.

Other than the PB-4, tilt/shift bellows are very rare.  Hama made one
model.
I think Spiratone did too.  Kopil made a Bellowsmat in Leica and Exakta
mounts. I have not seen more than one or two of any of them.

Piers