Re: [OM] ( OM ) Adobe rgb or not to be?

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Adobe rgb or not to be?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 11:01:50 -0700
> From: Moose <bylzbbfr@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Sue Pearce wrote:
>> Surprisingly, most led/laser printers use the sRGB space.
>
> Not really. The actual range of colors they can put on paper is
> narrower
> than even the sRGB color space.

I'm not so sure. Think "Star of David." the CMYK and RGB spaces are
opposites, and the pointy tips of the two colour spaces generally clip
each other, sometimes quite severely.

I just checked, and I think that my HP8500 can print cyan (and perhaps
magenta) outside the sRGB colour space -- and also that it has a LOT
of trouble with the three additive primaries (red, green, and blue).
Postscript (level 3, at least) allows for embedded profiles, and I
print documents containing mixed colour spaces all the time, and they
come out consistently better than converting everything to sRGB.

So in the case of the HP8500 (at least) colour laser, it is not
limited to sRGB. Perhaps cheaper printers, especially those without
Postscript, require sRGB. I don't think I'd own such a beast!

Those of you on Macs have a neat utility available called "ColorSync
Utility" that will allow you to graphically view and compare (and
repair) any colour profile. It's in your /Applications/Utilities
folder. It includes a nifty calculator for mapping tritone (and CMYK)
values between different colour spaces using different renditions.
(Unfortunately, it doesn't do hexachrome profiles, so I'm stuck with
Roland's tools on my big printer.)

> Not true, as I believe you know, of
> offset printing, where the gamut of printed colors exceeds sRGB, (and
> even aRGB?) in yellow.

Again, that depends on the paper, ink, press, and dither, but I'd
expect almost any coated paper to exceed sRGB in all the subtractive
primaries (cyan, magenta, and yellow).

:::: I'm not looking for culprits because we're all culprits. Every
last one of us is doing things that shouldn't be done in a rational
society because we haven't known any alternative. -- M. King Hubbert,
1976 ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.EcoReality.org> ::::