Re: [OM] Working hours

Subject: Re: [OM] Working hours
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 22:29:01 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <xra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> By modestly trimming
> discretionary spending, we've swung our household budget by nearly
> $500 per
> month. We could do more and trim another $500 if we had to...
> Instead of
> constantly living off of credit cards, we're actually paying them
> off and
> have a date for debt-free life on the calendar as well as investing
> money.

Good on you, Ken!

I agree, you can take it pretty far. The two of us are living on only
40% more than you cut out of your budget!

>> I've been "underemployed" for about fifteen years now, and am
>> thoroughly enjoying it. But I rather suspect the vast majority of
>> those tagged with this moniker do not share my joy.
>
> Only because, unlike you, they haven't adjusted their lifestyle to the
> income adjustment.

I think a lot of people are going to have to learn how to do this real
quickly real soon. I'm thinking about teaching a class. It's all part
of our Permaculture curriculum, but I think people will begin to want
to learn "frugality and thrift" without understanding what
Permaculture is.

Keep up the good work, Ken.

:::: Quite clearly, our task is predominantly metaphysical, for it is
how to get all of humanity to educate itself swiftly enough to
generate spontaneous behaviors that will avoid extinction. -- R.
Buckminster Fuller, _Synergetics_ ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality http://www.EcoReality.org ::::