Re: [OM] OT: What to do in Chicago Area

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: What to do in Chicago Area
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 10:20:37 -0500
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I was just a small-town 13 year old at the time but I remember being
> wowed by the museums.  The thing I remember best was a German U-boat and
> a piston removed from one of its diesels.  Gigantic.

And the cool thing now is that the Pioneer Zephyr and the U-505 are now
under the front lawn, protected from the elements.  Both have very nice
displays built around them -- the 505, especially, since they built an
entire exhibit paying tribute to maritime troops and battles.  The 505
is now resting in a replica of a concrete bunker -- it's an extremely
impressive display.

If you're a Harry Potter fan, MSI has an exhibit of props, costumes, and
set pieces from now through September.  www.msichicago.org is the website.

Depends on how mobile you are.  The museums, both Field and Science &
Industry, are where I grew up.  Then there's the Adler Planetarium, the
Shedd Aquarium, the Art Institute, Lincoln Park Zoo, the Sears Tower
(I'm sorry, but I refuse to call it anything else), Frank Lloyd Wright's
Robie House, Millenium Park.... the list goes on and on.  I was born in
Chicago, and never wandered far from it.

If you want to check out an old-school camera shop,
www.centralcamera.com downtown has been there since 1899.

And then you could just wander and look at the architecture.  See the
Wrigley Building, the old Water Tower, works by Louis Sullivan and Mies
Van der Rohe.

I love my hometown.  Can you tell?  And I don't even care about sports.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon