Re: [OM] A road trip of sorts.

Subject: Re: [OM] A road trip of sorts.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 23:08:14 -0700
Patrick Moore wrote:

Like others, I found the navigation a strong disincentive to full
viewing of the galleries. I did find several shots I liked quite a bit,
browsing through the thumbnails and clicking on those that looked most
interesting
> Fixing my gallery software (or indeed moving across to Flikr or similar) is
> very high on my list of things to do.  I've a new desktop and monitor which
> I'm using as a motivator for such things.

There's really no need to spend time "fixing", nor to go to the
awfulness that is Flikr.

Although prepping the images for the gallery I just posted took time,
creating and putting up the gallery was very quick and easy. I'm sure
there are other good, free gallery creation apps, but I can certainly
recommend Jalbum and Singapore.

With Jalbum, in this case, I simply dragged the folder with the web
sized images into the app, made some box checking option choices,
clicked Generate, then Preview to see locally what the finished product
would look like. After changing the misspelling in the title and
changing the number of thumbnails per row/column, I used the Regenerate
Changes option, then the Publish button. Give it the details for FTP
login to my ISP space and it automagically sends the gallery up there.
No need to even use FTP myself.

If you make changes to a published gallery, there's an option to only
upload changes, which saves lots of time. It also does hierarchical
galleries like yours, with layers of images grouped however you want.

Choice of appearance is almost infinite, as there are many skins
available and those I've looked at have oodles of options. But one
needn't spend a lot of time on that. Just take a look at the samples on
their web site and pick one you like. Just download and run to install
any skin.

Unless one has the need to program, or for some very unusual display,
there's simply no need to spend any time on getting one's images up in
an attractive and highly functional gallery. It can all be quite quick
and painless.

Moose