Re: [OM] another sticky question

Subject: Re: [OM] another sticky question
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 12:01:21 -0700
> From: AFHEVG@xxxxxxx
>
> I have wooden (bamboo) camera that I have managed to loosen the tripod
> mount on.  It is metal & attached with three screws.  It is sunk
> into a hole
> in the bamboo.  I want to re-attach and wonder what suggestions
> folks on the
> group might have about what sticky stuff to use in addition to the
> screws?
> Walt has already sent his suggestion from the other side . .  .
> epoxy!
> <{B^)    Bill  Barber

Gee, epoxy is so... permanent!

I'd try shimming the screw holes first. Stick a toothpick in there and
break it off flush, then put the screws back in. If it's a big hole,
put multiple bits of toothpick in it -- as many as will fit.

Doing it this way, at least you'll be able to get it off, if needed.
Imagine if the 1/4"x20 threads got stripped after you had epoxied it
in -- the whole camera might then be trash -- whereas if you fix the
mounting, you'll be able to take it off and run a tap through it, or
even machine a new part to put in.

:::: To redirect technology so that it serves man instead of
destroying him requires primarily an effort of the imagination and an
abandonment of fear. -- EF Schumaker ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org::::