Re: [OM] another sticky question

Subject: Re: [OM] another sticky question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 22:14:22 -0400
My normal way to repair such a thing would be to drill out the screw
holes to accept small pieces of dowel which are then glued into the
substrate using a quality carpenter's glue.  Sand or file the end flush
with the substrate and then make new screw holes into the dowels.

Just two days ago I happened to see in the supermarket (for the first
time ever) the perfect dowels for you.  They were bamboo skewers beside
the charcoal display.  They were perfectly turned bamboo dowels perhaps
18-24" long and about 3/16 (5mm) diameter.

To effect this repair I assume you will have some means of controlling
the drill depth so you don't just break through the bottom plate into
the film chamber.

I have effected cruder repairs in wood screw holes by jamming the ends
of multiple round, wooden toothpicks into the screw holes after first
filling the holes with wood glue.  Then cut off the stubs and file or
sand flush as above.  You could try this first as an easy fix and then,
if that doesn't hold well, drill everything back out and repair as in
the first method with dowels.

Chuck Norcutt