[OM] "Native" ISO of DSLR sensors

Subject: [OM] "Native" ISO of DSLR sensors
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 21:30:10 EDT
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I missed it if it  was.

I read something to the effect that there is a "native" ISO to camera
sensors, and faster speeds are accomplished by turning up the gain. (I think we

all know this.) The interesting part was that the item also stated that
some  camera manufacturers allow users to select lower ISOs, but they don't
give any  improvement in image quality over the native ISO. For instance, the
sensor's  native ISO might be 200, and selecting an ISO of 100 wouldn't give
you any  better results (other than selecting a slightly different shutter
speed or  aperture). Is this a valid concept? If so, does anyone know what
the native ISO  of the various Oly DSLRs is? I'm particularly interested in
the 510 and 520,  since I have one of each.

Thanks!
Greg

**************Join ChristianMingle.com® FREE! Meet Christian Singles in
your area. Start now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221673648x1201419171/aol?redir=http://www.christianmingle.com/campaign.html%3Fcat%3Dadbuy%26
src%3Dplatforma%26adid%3Dfooter:050109%26newurl%3Dreg_path.html)