Re: [OM] E-620

Subject: Re: [OM] E-620
From: "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:02:05 -0500
I am only slightly familiar with Dwaynes, as I have several friends in the
lab business, and we live about an hour from Dwaynes, and those guys all
talk.

Their original business was with small mom and pop drugstores. Film was
shipped to them, and they would print and process and return to the
drugstores. They did no retail work.

I understood that a few years ago, they were the only ones that handled disc
film. As few as five years ago, they did thousands of reprints a week from
that stuff. They continued to do instamatic and pocket instamatic film
recently, and I think ektachrome was added many years ago.

When the web came along, they added retail mail order. Then, along came
Kodak. I'll bet that Kodak tried to auction off the Kodachrome processing
and Dwaynes was the only taker. I suspect that they use one of the old
"Kodachrome mini-labs" that went nowhere.

Fuji used to do E6 in Arizona, but I'll bet it's Dwaynes now. I would
suppose that any current use of chrome film is by professional and advanced
amateur photographers, and they all have found a pro lab to do their work,
so any Fuji does is amateur scraps.

Bill Pearce