Re: [OM] Radio, non line of site, flash trigger --TTL f/u

Subject: Re: [OM] Radio, non line of site, flash trigger --TTL f/u
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:06:09 -0400
I viewed this with some interest but couldn't figure out what's being
tested that's relevant to actual work.  Digital TTL requires a pre-flash
that is fairly weak and easily swamped by bright daylight.  I don't have
any of this flash automation stuff so don't have any first hand
experience.  But I do believe Will Crockett who tells me that digital
daylight TTL fill flash is not very reliable beyond about 6 feet due to
the limitations of pre-flash brightness.  So, what good is it that I can
trigger a flash from 600 feet away that the camera can't accurately
measure beyond 6 feet?  His actual recommendation for daylight fill
flash if you really want exposure automation is to use flash controlled
auto mode. (ala T-32 or Vivitar 285)

I can understand possibly wanting to take a moderately wide angle shot
in a 150 foot long ballroom to capture it all but I don't need TTL for
that.  Once the lights are setup the exposure from a long distance is a
constant.  It's up close where the lights are coming from different
directions and distances where exposure determination is difficult.

Just shaking my head and wondering why.
Dr. Flash