[OM] The curses and joys...

Subject: [OM] The curses and joys...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:32:13 -0500
I've not seen too much daylight this week because of the extensive quantity
of scanning I've been doing.  17 rolls of film?  What was I thinking?  I
keep forgetting that "time is money" and spending the money for a photo-CD
at time of development is actually a good thing.  I can whip through an
entire roll in a minute or two figuring out my keepers and then scanning at
4000dpi only the ones I want to mess with--otherwise, even the trashy
automated scans aren't horrid for most uses. 14 of those rolls are specific
to the event shoot from Friday night and Saturday.
This next week, (Monday-Wednesday) I have a major event shoot, followed by
another event on Thursday. I bought 19 rolls of film today to handle this.
 Yes, I'll stop being a dope and will pay the extra for the photo-CDs...
It's worth the time savings. I didn't bother this last time, because of the
low keeper rate.

Now, that said, I've been extremely pleased with the quality of the
images--even from ISO 400 and 800 consumer films. There is a depth to the
images which the digital images just can't match. I'd show you pictures, but
don't have general release from the primary client yet.  I do know that next
week, about a hundred pictures will be used in a large-scale presentation
being assembled right now by the client.

I know that if it wasn't for the killer OM kit, I'd have gone out and bought
a new digital camera last year, but the reality is, I can buy a ton of film
(and in this case, the clients paid extra to cover the expense) and still
come out ahead financially. And besides, shooting with the OM kit is
actually enjoyable and relaxing.

Relaxing?  Enjoyable?

Yes, for me it is.  Event coverage with a digital camera means a lot of
"overshoot". I don't have time to chimp other than to make gross
adjustments, so knowing that I'm handicapped by the dynamic range,
noise-floor, autofocus speed/accuracy, and the lack of OTF flash control,
I'm shooting several times more images than I ever did with film.
Unfortunately, this past weekend, I was shooting film like it was digital...
 That's Old/New habits for you.

So, going into next week's events, even though I have as much film as I did
the previous event, I'm going to slow down on my shooting rate and really
make sure that I'm getting the shot correctly up front--ie., pre-editing. I
had hoped to shoot, maybe 1000-1200 pictures last weekend, but ended up just
short of 3000. Granted, much of that was due to the extremely difficult
lighting conditions (inotherwords, it was way too dark), but much of it was
also due to my own sloppiness just because I could.

AG