Re: [OM] Tripods?

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripods?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:07:23 +0200
I remember being shocked at the size and (to be frank) ugliness
when the (admittedly amazing feat of gung-ho-ness)
Sigma 200-500/2.8 was announced. And that was when it was in black!

When production units started showing up in Army green... ugh.
Over at the Open Photography Forums at that time we had a discussion
of when one would want to use this beast.

When is it worthwhile carrying a 35-pound monster around, versus just,
say, a Canon 200/2.8 (and there is no way I will ever believe a Sigma
zoom
is better than the 200/2.8L) and a Canon 400/2.8L or 500/4.0L. The two-
lens kit
is much, much smaller (hand-holdable) and  either just a bit slower (f/
4)
or a bit shorter (400mm) at the long end.

I am not saying this monster Sigma has no reason for existence, but
wow -
at the size/cost! In fact, one could buy 200, 300, 400, 500 primes for
pretty much the same price, each being smaller and (I have to believe)
better.

Now the kicker - will they make the 200-500/2.8 in OM mount, so I can
stick my tiny OM-1n on the back of it? :-)