Re: [OM] Listen up Mac users. Welcome to the club

Subject: Re: [OM] Listen up Mac users. Welcome to the club
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:28:27 -0400
I forgot to mention that one of the major reasons for ditching AVG was
its propensity to find false positives, pluck them from their normal
homes and place them in virus jail.  I really hadn't paid much attention
to what it was finding and placing in jail since it was running during
the night and shutting down afterwards.  But then I attempted to run
something (I can't remember what) and it failed for lack of a file.  AVG
had removed a system file from the Windows system32 directory and put it
in jail.  I was initially a bit shaken that my system was infected and
went to Microsoft's web site where I was able to download a replacement
copy.  But then I tried a bit-for-bit comparison and found them to be
equal.  Then I looked further and discovered another 10 or so files in
the virus jail that had come from various application folders.  So I did
some Googling on some specific file names and discovered that complaints
about AVG's propensity to find false positives with these files was
rather wide spread.  That's when I decided to try Avast.  I moved all
the supposedly infected files back to their application folders and
tasked Avast to scan the entire system.  It found nothing at all and AVG
was no longer welcome here.

Chuck Norcutt