Re: [OM] New toy: Cosina Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar 15mm F4.5 Aspheri

Subject: Re: [OM] New toy: Cosina Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar 15mm F4.5 Aspherical
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:09:10 -0500

> I heard some comments as yours for SC better for B&W shots than MC.
> Voigtalnder produces SC & MC version for same lens, someone said the
> difference is SC for B&W and MC for color.

If presented with the opportunity to buy a brand new version of either, I
would go with the MC version. The advantage of the SC for B&W can be
outweighed by the increased flexibility in shooting into bright lights or
the sun.

Where you see the differences between a SC and MC lens for B&W isn't so much
a matter of a huge difference on a single image, but is definitely seen in a
comparative body of work. As I've mentioned before, with freshly processed
negatives hanging to dry, I can spot a Leica roll of film from across the
room.  Uncanny.

Note:  A change in films or exposure can have a greater impact on this than
the type of lens. For example, when shooting with a chromogenic film, it is
difficult to get clean Zones 0-I.  Use of a SC lens with a chromogenic film
just makes it worse.  However, an SC lens with Plus-X helps keep Zones I-II
intact without them sucking down into Zone 0.

AG