Re: [OM] Kinglake, Vic

Subject: Re: [OM] Kinglake, Vic
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:04:35 +1000
Yup - they're called 'epicormic shoots' from buds dormant under the
bark. I saw a dramatic shot today of a charred black trunk ringed
with green fur. Each shoot has a few leaves, enough for the tree
gather enough energy to to kick start the crown again. Not all
eucalypts do it and some other species have them too.
VERY well fire adapted.
There are shrubs that hold all the seed that they produce until
killed and dried out by fire - then they release millions of seed on
to the ash bed which acts as a fungicide to kill 'damping off'
disease; provides the correct gemination pH too. Evolution is a truly
wonderful thing.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx