Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:08:31 -0700
Bob Whitmire wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2009, at 8:16 PM, Moose wrote:
>
>> It's my opinion that polarizers on digital should be reserved for
>> controlling specular highlight reflections and for "seeing through" water
>> and glass. In my experience, it's easier to add the darkening
>> effects to sky in post than to correct for uneven darkening from a polarizer
>> in post.
>>

> Ah. A new skill I have to master. <g>

All part of my plan to keep you free of senile dementia.

>> In this particular case, it's not hard to do a decent job of correction even
>> on such a small image. ...
>> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Whitmire/PolarSky.htm>
>>

> I like it! Where does one find the process described? Or does one ask His
> Mooseness to describe it?

I suppose somebody, somewhere must describe it. Doesn't the million
monkeys theorem cover that? The are more than a million creatures
describing how to PS things on the web, I'll bet.

Howsomever, I mostly learn by trying, sometimes in desperation. I fought
with gradients a couple of times before I "got" it. Here's a modest
attempt at a tutorial.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Polarize>

Some folks may think I got there before the end. I would agree - for a
natural looking image. However, the spec. was for the polarized sky look.

> The more I do the more I realize I don't know.

Again, keep doing, keep the brain active.

>> LCE and Curves adjust micro and macro contrast. I then thought the blue
>> might be overdone, so tried toning it down.
>>

> LCE I've got. Curves I'm learning, especially since CS3 and 4 give us those
> convenient sliders, obviating the need to actually drag the line on the
> graph, which frustrated me no end. <g>

Not true of CS3. Maybe true of the ACR that comes with it. I wouldn't
know, as I never do such adjustments in RAW conversion. And ACR is no
use for this project.

> Thanx!

Whelks!

Moose