Re: [OM] Fried yet another yabe slave flash radio transmitter

Subject: Re: [OM] Fried yet another yabe slave flash radio transmitter
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:17:33 -0500
Whoa, there Mike.  Are you saying that the Vivitar 283 is a legacy model
with the 250V trigger voltage?  If so, then I can understand exactly what is
going on.  In nearly every case, the pc-socket and hot shoe are paralleled
on the camera. This means that you subjected your transmitter to 250v which
it isn't able to handle.
I also experimented with this type of configuration (although with not so
legacy flash equipment) and usually experience less than the most stable
transmitter performance. A few years ago, a former list member who is a pro
wedding photographer in Detroit taught me/us about this and indicated that
you want only ONE item connected to the camera--either the flash or the
transmitter, but not both.  One reason is that you can get "latching" where
one or the other devices will not release and will short the terminals.

His recommendation, which I am now using is to use a radio receiver on the
"on-camera flash".  The ebay transmitters give you the best
performance/range when you have them in the hot-shoe AND you are using the
PC-sync cord.

AG (Flash) Schnozz